The Pastor as Scholar
The Doctor of Ministry program is an advanced degree for
persons who are engaged in professional ministry and wish to think more
deeply about theology and the practice of ministry.
Download or print the D.Min. degree brochure (opens a PDF in a new browser)
Request a brochure
Eden is committed to the concept of the “pastor as scholar.” We have developed
a program that invites pastors and other religious leaders to deepen their understanding of ministry through…
• rigorous study
• close interaction with faculty
• serious conversation with peers
We’re looking for students who…
• have distinguished themselves both academically and professionally
• think that critical study is crucial to the life of the church
• want to engage the questions and issues of modern church life with creativity and imagination
|Focus Where Your Passion Lies
The Doctor of Ministry program at Eden is flexible, allowing you to develop a course of study that reflects your own passion for some aspect of ministry.
Eden Seminary boasts a distinguished faculty of international reputation. Yet, they know how to connect with life in the church. At Eden a passion for learning, a yearning for justice and peace, and constant struggle with everyday church life go hand in hand. And they’re committed to the Doctor of Ministry degree. All of our regular faculty offer electives in the Doctor of Ministry program.
• hold an M.Div. degree or its equivalent from an A.T.S. accredited seminary
• have at least three years of post-graduate experience in professional ministry
• have an aptitude for advanced study in theology and the practice of ministry
Basic Course of Study
- Two required courses – one to introduce you to Doctor of Ministry study (taken when you enter the program), and a second to usher you into the project/thesis phase (taken when you complete your elective course work).
- Six elective courses – selected from across the theological disciplines. Two of these may be directed studies, to allow you to specialize and focus your work.
- A final project/thesis – designed to bring together critical theological reflection and the practice of ministry.
Revive your spiritual life…
The intensive course structure and time away offer you an opportunity to retreat from your routine, immerse yourself in the spiritual discipline of study and join others in unique worship experiences.
Connect with others…
Community building and the nurturing of peer relationships are part of the program. In class and out – at table, in the library or in the common areas of the Wehrli Center – students are encouraged to find new colleagues and friends to share the journey.
- Eden offers two-week intensive courses in June and January.
- During the spring and fall semesters we offer semi-intensive courses, which meet Thursday evening and Friday one weekend a month.
- Directed studies can be arranged with individual professors on a flexible schedule.
Stay on campus…
While on campus, students are welcome to stay in campus housing, which offers low-cost rooms close to the library and classrooms.
A great environment…
St. Louis is the region’s metropolitan center, with a host of cultural events and activities, and a rich and diverse religious life. Take in the St. Louis Symphony or check out the blues scene in the Soulard District. Visit the arch, or historic St. Charles. Students with families will find St. Louis a great place to get away together.
For admission information contact: